Menus for July 20-26 and stocking up

I know that this actually started yesterday but oh well, better late than never. I don't have any food money left until Friday so this is from the freezer and the pantry.

Sunday July 20 - Sausage, fried potatoes and snow peas
Monday July 21 - chicken, mashed potatoes, carrots
Tuesday July 22 - tilapia, snowpeas and carrots
Wednesday July 23 - chicken stir fry
Thursday July 24 - salmon, mashed potatoes and broccoli
Friday July 25 - sloppy joes ? this is payday so I am not sure
Saturday July 26 - steak sandwiches with onions and peppers

Saturday I will do my food shopping so I wanted something easy. Saturdays meal is from my last Angel Food box back in June I think. Dh really enjoyed them the first time I got them.

I was talking with my bff last night and she asked whether I have had the urge to stock up recently. I had to laugh because I have had that urge for a couple of months now. I am wanting to get six months worth of the basics in the house. By basics I mean everything but fresh stuff. I have a couple of things at 3 months, flour, sugar, yeast, and oatmeal. But I have a long way to go. It doesn't help that my food budget has shrunk to $50 a week. We are eating out of the freezer alot. I wish I could use some of this money to stock things we use alot. I think of ketchup, mustard, toilet paper ~smile~, vegetables and fruit. I am canning from the garden and I hope to go the farmer's market for things that I did not plant. A friend brought me a peck of peaches and I am going to can all of them. Need to go and get some more ~smile~ I love peaches. I already have strawberries in the freezer. The basic, easiest way to stock up is to buy two of everything that you normally would buy. So last night I got canned mushrooms I needed one but I bought two. I label the top with a sharpie and make sure I rotate. First in first out that way things don't expire.

With prices going up on everything a pantry is the best idea of managing your food dollars. That way you can buy sales and eat sales. Even at $50 a week I try to use $10 for sales, to add to the pantry. We have stopped buying soda so that has enabled me to fed four adults on this amount. The other thing I do that helps is when someone offers me garden produce or food items that their families won't eat I take them. I have recently been given eight bags of instant mashed potatoes, 3 huge bags of oatmeal and 2 cans of pineapple juice. All these from one family whose MIL gets commodities and won't eat these items. My friends family will not eat them either but she knew my family would. What a wonderful windfall. God provides all of our needs though I feel like he expects you to manage your finances to the best of your ability. My goal is to be like the Proverbs 31 women. I like setting my goals high ~smile~.

All for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sorry it has been a while ....

New Grandbaby is Here !!!!

Grocery Shop Jan 13, 2018