Some recipes to share

Last night we had stir fry which is a wonderful way to use leftovers in. In the past I have slipped in shredded brussel sprouts, shredded zucchini and asparagus bits. Did members of the family have sworn that they would never eat one or more of these foods. ~smile~ I guess what they don't know ..... Last night I used leftover spaghetti noodles. Dh thought it rocked.

Tonight we are having chicken lo mein. I am using the other half of the chicken breast that I used last night. I thought I would post my recipe that amazingly every one in the family loves. I got it out of a magazine from 2000.

Chicken/Pork lo mein

5 cups water
2 pkgs ramen noodles
1/2 pound of pork or chicken cut in thin strips
2 tbsp cornstartch
2 tbsp soy sauce (I use low sodium)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp minced, peeled ginger or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 pkg frozen sugar snap stur-fry vegetables.

In a large suacepan bring 4 cups of water to a boil over high heat, add ramen noodles without the seasoning packets and boil 2-3 mins. Reserve one seasoning packet. Rinse under cold water, drain and set aside.

In a small bowl, combine pork or chicken and cornstarch and toss to coat well. Set aside. In another small bowl combine remaining 1 cup water, the seasoning packet and soy sauce. mix well.

In a large skillet heat vegetable oil over med-high heat. Add pork or chicken and ginger and cook about 5 mins until meat begins to brown; stirring constantly. Stir in soy sauce mixture and frozen vegetables. Cover skillet and cook 3-5 mins, or until vegetables are heated through. Stir in noodles and cook until heated through. Serve immediately.


Once again, this is a wonderful meal to slip leftover vegetables and noodles in. I have also used beef in the with good results. The other recipe I want to share is one that was past down for dh's sister. Dh loves it so much he has been known to eat the entire bowl. I make it alot in the spring and fall when broccoli is in season.


Broccoli Salad

1 bunch broccoli, finely chopped
1/2 cup bacon bits (we have used turkey bacon and loved it)
1 cup cheese

Dressing

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar

Mix dressing together the night before; refrigerate. Toss the broccoli, bacon bits and cheese in a bowl the next day and add dressing right before serving. I have successfully doubled this.

We have been working in the garden to try to keep the clover under control. The broccoli, cabbage and kale are looking good. It is hard to tell how the lettuce is doing yet. Our days have been much hotter than normal so we have not gotten out the beets and radishes. We will plant in the fall instead. We are getting antsy to plant our summer garden. I can't wait for fresh vegetables again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sorry it has been a while ....

New Grandbaby is Here !!!!

Grocery Shop Jan 13, 2018