Farmer's Market Fun

Yesterday I went to the farmer's market for the first time this season. I was sooo excited. I took four 20 year olds with me. Why? Well with my daughter, Rachel, I took her boyfriend and their best friends who happen to be married. She had never been to the farmer's market before but wanted to start eating better. So this was a teaching visit also. She actually had more money than me - go figure. I purchased: tomatoes, green and red leaf lettuce, 1 gallon of yummy strawberries, green onions, red potatoes, beets and sugar snap peas. I have broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and kale in our garden so I didn't have to purchase those. I will be pickling beets and have already had blt's for the first time this season. I spent $24 - more than I wanted too but the strawberries looked to good. They were $12 a gallon. A little pricey for me but they are delicious.

Rachel's friend? she bought: cabbage, strawberries, green lettuce, tomatoes and feta cheese. She paid $7 for the cheese and I hope it is good. She wasn't going to purchase it but her husband was insistent. We have decided next time to leave the guys at home. ~smile~ she had to ask me what to use the cabbage for. It is so sad that alot of our young adults do not know how to use fresh ingredients. She has not been in touch with her folks for over a year now and their is no reconciling in sight. She has asked me to mentor to her. I am honored and I pray that I can teach her what needs to be taught. My daughter is becoming a good little cook so she will help also. I might invite them over for dinner where we eat food bought at the farmer's market and from our garden to see what they think.

We are making the move closer to locavores (not sure I have spelt it right). We are trying to eat within a 100 mile radius of our home. Katherine had never heard of that and was interested. We are not there yet but it is a work in progress.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sorry it has been a while ....

New Grandbaby is Here !!!!

Grocery Shop Jan 13, 2018