Encouraging the next generation

I have put a lot of thought into encouraging the next generation of young people to garden, canning and preserve. These are among topics (with needlepoint, tatting and sewing) that if we don't teach these skills they will be lost. Last summer I concentrated on the daughter and she loved it. It made this momma proud. She did entire batches by herself and saved me a lot of time in our very warm kitchen. Yes she was 19 almost 20 but still, she had not shown any desire to learn so when she wanted to learn I struck while the iron was still hot. She has already told me that she wants to help this summer also, I was hoping she would, but that she wants me to teach a friend of hers who is a newlywed. Sure I said and then I seconded guessed myself, can I teach someone who isn't my child? I am disappointed that my future daughter in law is not interested in helping just the eating part. Oh well maybe with time.

First of all, it seems like I am not going to have one student but upwards to four now. All different ages too. Should be fun !! With the economy the way it is more people are looking at having gardens. Even my sister, who is 19 hours away, is going to need help this summer as she has planted her first garden. I am so proud of you girl !!!! We will need to sit down and find out what they want to start with. We all need to do this. This year for me is going to be weird because I don't need to make relish or bread and butter pickles as I went way over board last summer. So I am only going to make dill pickles. However, if they want to do bread and butter pickles or relish we will do this in a class that they take all of it home. ~smile~

The second thing I will need is a huge dose of patience. The Lord knows that I struggle with this. My kitchen is on the smallish size so it will require a great deal of patience if I have more than two students. Hopefully it will not be one of our very hot and humid days.

And my third thing will be organization to make sure we have enough jars. Last year I had to purchase three dozen more jars than what I had. Once they have committed to come I need to have a list of items ready for them. I am donating my time so I can't really donate my supplies also.

Lastly I ask for your prayers. As an "older woman" I know it is one of my God directed duties to teach the younger women. As I strive to become a Proverbs 31 women this is a step that I need to take more seriously.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sorry it has been a while ....

New Grandbaby is Here !!!!

Grocery Shop Jan 13, 2018