Menus and Recipe

Well I know that I normally post my menus on Monday but I wasn't organized so here they are today.  This week:

Sunday - ate out lunch, hamburgers dinner
Monday - just ds and I:  sausage and veggies
Tuesday - taco soup
Wednesday - chicken, potatoes and veggie (most likely carrots)
Thursday - salmon, potatoes and spring veggies
Friday - stuffed green peppers, mashed potatoes and grilled veggies
Saturday - Chicken stir fry (use up leftovers)

So tonight we are having taco soup.  The perfect thing for a rainy day.  Dh can take leftovers for lunches also ~smile~.  Everyone has their own  recipe for taco soup but I thought I would post mine.

Taco Soup

1 pound ground turkey or beef
1 can chili bean (I use white beans)
1 can kidney beans (I use pinto beans)
1 can whole kernel corn, with liquid
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
2 cups water
1 package taco seasoning mix

In a medium skillet brown meat.  Drain and set aside.  Place everything in a slow cooker including browned meat.  Mix to blend and cook on Low setting for eight hours.  
I will sometimes add onion and green peppers in with the meat to soften.  My family likes the added veggies.  Hope you enjoy it.  
On the same theme my family also enjoys this recipe.

Taco Pie

1 pound hamburger
1 package taco seasoning mix
1/2 cup water
6 oz can tomato sauce
8 oz package refrigerated crescent rolls
1 c crushed tortilla chips, divided
1 c sour cream
1 c shredded cheddar cheese

Brown hamburger.  Add taco seasoning, water and tomato sauce.  Place crescent rolls in bottom of greased baking dish and flatten.  Crumble half of chips over rolls.  Pour meat mixture over rolls and crushed chips.  Smother with sour cream.  Add cheese.  Top with remaining chips.  Bake for 20 to 25 mins at 375 degrees.  Serve with favorite taco sauce or salsa.
This recipe is wonderful for using up stale tortilla chips.

Notice we love mexican food.  I love it because you can work little bits of this and that in dishes to use up all the little bits of this and that in our fridges.

With Rachel away at school it only changes the food budget a little bit because Ian is still home and his girlfriend eats with us on Sundays.  We still are starting to change the way we are eating.  With dh and I being diabetic and dh having a heart condition we need to make the changes.  Eating healthier is the new name of the game.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sorry it has been a while ....

New Grandbaby is Here !!!!

Grocery Shop Jan 13, 2018